Back a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare - AF
- Animal cruelty and suffering is a global issue
- Animals are sentient – they feel pain
- Animals need to be protected – urgently.
- A Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) would show a global commitment to making the protection of animals a priority.
- It would inspire international, regional and national change
- It would drive industries that use animals, to protect animals.
What we’re doing
- We’re leading a global movement calling for a Declaration
- Two million people have already added their voice
- 330 animal groups and 46 governments are on board too.
Help make the Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare a reality
Together, we can move the world to protect animals, by securing a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW). So please, add your voice to this vital campaign today.
Animal suffering is an urgent worldwide problem. Whether it’s the millions of animals forgotten after natural disasters or the 1 billion stray cats and dogs at risk of being needlessly culled, animals need our help. As well as the individual actions we can take, our governments have a crucial role to play in creating lasting change for animals.
This is why World Animal Protection is calling for a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) to be backed by the United Nations.
A declaration will create a baseline for animal care and treatment that every nation in the world can work towards. It will make animals a global priority, to be included as we seek solutions for the big issues we face, like poverty and climate change. It will make animals matter.
It would encourage governments to create or improve animal welfare laws. It would persuade businesses to protect animals. It would mobilise animal welfare supporters worldwide. And it would get people talking and thinking about animal welfare. A Universal Declaration would change the lives of millions of animals – forever.
More than 2 million individuals and 40 governments have joined us in demanding a declaration and you too can join the global movement.
Animals matter to me. They need to matter to us all.
Better animal welfare globally is vital if animals, people, and our planet are to thrive. For this reason, I support an international initiative to improve animals’ lives: I support a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare.
A declaration backed by the United Nation is necessary to create a new international landscape – one in which respect for animal wellbeing is recognised as inextricable from how we live and treat our planet.